Electrical Safety advice for landlords
If you let property you must ensure that the electrical system and all appliances supplied are safe - failure to comply with the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 and the Consumer Protection Act 1987 is a criminal offence the penalties for failing to comply are:
- 3 Months and/or a £5000 fine if there is a risk of fire and/or an animal is injured
- 6 Months and/or £5000 fine if a human is injured or killed
- Possible manslaughter charges in the event of deaths
- The Tenant may also sue you for civil damages
- Your property insurance may be invalidated
These regulations are enforced by the Health & Safety Executive.
Although there is no statutory obligation for landlords or agents to have professional checks carried out on the electrical system or appliances. Under the Electrical Equipment (safety) Regulations 1994, the plugs and sockets etc (safety) Regulations 1994, both of which come under the Consumer Protection Act 1987, there is an obligation to ensure that all electrical equipment is safe.
In order to comply with these regulations we recommend that any Landlord / Letting agent should have
- 5 Yearly inspections by a qualified electrician on the electrical system to ensure safety, and that the electrical installation complies with current electrical regulations a certificate will be issued.
- Periodic inspections of electrical appliances recording their condition and that the correct fuse is fitted.
- Inspections when the tenant changes
Ensure to keep records of these inspections
In the event of a tenant complaint or an incident the defence of "due diligence" may be accepted where it can be shown that the landlord or agent took all reasonable steps to avoid committing an offence - you will need documentary evidence of this. The inspections would reduce the risk of fire or injury and also show that you had acted positively towards the safety of your property and tenants.
Cook Electrical can provide
- Periodic inspection reports on the electrical installation
- Portable appliance testing
- Fire alarm and emergency lighting certificates
- Reminders when inspections or servicing are due
- Repairs to electrical installations
Also Landlords/Letting Agencies with larger portfolios we can offer to manage all inspections, testing and servicing to ensure you comply with the regulations. We can either remind you in advance to arrange for the work to be carried out, or contact your tenants direct.